Monday, October 31, 2011

Cincinnati Half Marathon



On October 22nd I did my FIRST half marathon. I say first with such emphasis because I think I am hooked and want to do more! Four of my friends and I had been training since mid-July and after many EARLY Saturday morning runs, the big day finally came. We drove down to Cincinnati on Friday the 21st and checked into the hotel(we actually stayed in Tennessee, just on the other side of the river from Ohio). Then we drove downtown to pick up packets with shirts, bibs, and timing chips. After that we headed back to the hotel. We got a little side tracked on our way back when our GPS took us to a random small road that led to the river and said "board ferry". Cameron was very excited for this little adventure and we ended up riding for free because we had no idea what we were doing and got on before we knew you had to have cash, which we didn't, so the people were nice and felt bad for the dumb out-of-towners and let us stay on. We had ordered pizza with the Coils, but they ended up LOSING our order and after making some heated phone calls and talking to the manager, we got the pizza for free(yay). We at the pizza when it FINALLY got there and went to bed shortly after that. Sara, Shay and I planned to meet in the lobby of the hotel at 6:45am to head downtown for the race together. We met up and headed to the race start. It was FREEZING... like literally. I didn't bring a jacket with me or wear long pants or long sleeves because I knew I wouldn't want them once I was a few miles into the race, but that made waiting for the start very cold and seem longer than it actually was. We really didn't do much waiting around. Just went to the bathroom in a line about 60 people long, and then got lined up a few minutes after that. It took me 4 or 5 miles just to get to the point that I could feel my fingers and toes again. After that I was able to get into a pretty good groove and felt totally fine... UNTIL miles 12 and 13. Those were killer and I was just tired. I definitely owe making it to the end and running the whole way to my friend Mamie who ran the whole way with me and we definitely pushed each other when we needed it. I also owe ALOT to Shay and Sara for being my moral support through it all. We have seen each other through a lot of rough days(running and not) and I could not have done it without them. I think overall the race went really well for being my first one. I was happy with my time (2:21:19.2), and it was just so fun to do with friends and see all our husbands and kids cheering us on at the finish line.


Grant on the drive down to Cincinnati. I made the mistake of giving him the whole can of baby cheeto things... but it kept him happy for a while, so whatever.


Cameron took this picture on his phone while I was getting my race packet. I liked it and Cameron said Grant loved the leaves and was running around like a wild man in the huge field of grass by the packet pickup.



After picking up my packet we walked around the cool park by the river. This is the guy Cincinnati is named after.



watching the ferry come to pick us up



on the ferry crossing the river


Mamie and I running the last 50 yards to the finish line.


Grant and I RIGHT after crossing the finish line. I could barely hold him (:
oh, and look at his shirt! It says "Run Mommy Run" We actually got it in some hand-me-down clothes by chance and it was PERFECT. I loved it!


Thanks Mamie!

Me, Shay and Sara


YAY! WE DID IT!!!

The whole group that did it


After the race...Even though it was pretty chilly, it was VERY sunny. That's why Grant isn't
looking at the camera and I am squinting pretty bad.

The next half marathon has already been scoped out. I am going to train for it, but am going to register as soon as I know if Cameron and I will even be living here in May so I can do it. Getting pumped already!



6 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

You are awesome!! Good luck on your next half!

Collin and Joy said...

You look amazing! You make that half marathon sound like fun.. maybe I'll try one? {Sounds like a lot of work..} It's good to read you guys, though. We miss living next to you and having fun times... and good neighbors.

Joy

Kirk and Falycia said...

Wow way to go hill! That is awesome. I can't get over how cute your little man is. Hope you guys are doing good.

Adrian said...

Way to go Hillary! I am so impressed! Love Grant's shirt too :)

Katie Elaine said...

WOW. You. Are. Am. Azing.

Shay said...

A day I will never forget, that is for sure. Thanks for being such a great friend.