Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day at the Hospital

Monday I ran out of my nausea medicine, but I thought I was feeling so much better that I would not fill it again and that I must be well over the morning sickness by now...(I am over 20 weeks along). Obviously I was very VERY wrong. I took my last pill of the medicine on Sunday and thought I would be good to go and not have to take it anymore. I felt ok Monday till about noon. I started feeling pretty nauseous, but thought I just needed to eat a little more than I had or something. I took a nap and waited for Cameron to get home from work. By the time he got home at about 8:30 I was NOT feeling good at all. I had him stop on his way home and get some Ginger Ale and Sprite because I wasn't even able to keep water down at the time. He brought those and I tried to take little sips of that, but as soon as I did that I was running to the bathroom and could not even keep down like 1 tablespoon of liquid at all. I went to bed feeling miserable, but figured I could get the meds early in the morning and be ok. The night was horrible, and I was throwing up AT LEAST once every hour all night long. Luckily Cameron had Tuesday off, so he was doing everything he could think of to help, but there wasn't much anyone could do. We called around to get my prescription filled, but were told everywhere that it would be 24 hours to fill since it was an out of state prescription. i then tried to call my doctor and see if she could just call in another one, but the nurse said she wouldn't be in until 3pm and then they could do it. I thought I could make it ok till three and then just get the medicine asap. I took a bath, took a nap, paced around the house and was STILL throwing up every hour or more. So by this point I had not eaten or drank anything for more than 24 hours and I was feeling HORRIBLE. I was just about to call my doctor again to rush it when I started throwing up blood. I called and told the nurse this new development and she said she would talk to my doctor and call me right back. She called back really soon and said to go straight to the Emergency Room. I wasn't too excited about it, but I was ready to do anything to help by then. Cameron took me to the ER and we were sent to the High Risk Labor and Delivery area since I was only 20 weeks. They were really nice and said I was super dehydrated. They immediately put me on an IV of fluids and also put anti-nausea meds in the IV. I slowly started feeling a little better as I got the fluids and the medicine. They kept a contraction monitor on me, but never saw any contractions, which is a good thing. They listened to his heartbeat and that was fine too. They did some blood work and kept checking vitals and stuff until things started to look better. We were there a total of 8 long hours and got home around 11pm. I felt better by the time we left, but was super tired. We stopped and got more medicine on the way home and went straight to bed once we got there. i slept straight through the night and slept in the next morning. I felt SO much better when I woke up though. It was such a big difference. I was able to eat some plain toast and drink a glass of Ginger Ale. I feel lots better today other than having a super raw and sore throat and tongue. I told Cameron I am NEVER stopping taking my nausea medicine again.

Here is one picture we took on my phone while we were in the hospital. It is just of my arm all hooked up to the IV's and stuff. I'm surprised I don't have a bruise yet because I was so dehydrated that the nurse had to try like four times to get the IV in.



11 comments:

Karlee Jo Waddoups said...

Oh wow... you poor thing. I really hope that you feel so so much better. I would send you some cookies, but that would only help Cameron and they would probably be stale by the time they got to you!
Glad we get some time to talk on Facebook and stuff. I wish we would have hung out more when you were here. I never really appreciated your friendship till you were gone. I'm sorry.
Keep eating and drinking and taking care of that baby! We are praying for you!

Monica McCoy said...

Oh my goodness, I am so happy you are OK now. I hope no more hospital runs happen until you are ready for delivery! Get well.

JKGROSS said...

Oh that is horrible. I'm sorry. But i'm glad everything is ok now.

Unknown said...

HOW AWFUL! When I read the part about you throwing up blood I gasped. Elliot asked what and I started telling him about your post. He goes, "Yeah, I talked to Cameron yesterday." Sheesh. Good thing he keeps me updated, huh? I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. That's miserable. Glad you are doing better and most importantly, glad all is well with your little guy!

Krista said...

Wow that really sucks. I hope things look up and hopefully your next hospital visit you can bring a cute baby boy home with you! Hang in there.

Christy said...

Oh my gosh Hillary! That is horrible. I got put on nausea medicine too at about 17 weeks and immediately when I told people the first question they would ask is are you still taking it....they would ask after I had only taken in like 1 or 2 days. I have heard another story from a lady in my ward about her SIL that stopped taking her nausea meds and she threw up like 30 times! You have sealed the deal....I will learn from your lesson.......I will NOT go off my meds!!!! I hope you pregnancy is going well otherwise!

Adrian said...

wow! Poor Hillary! I am so glad you are ok now!

AubsandKenny said...

OH man, I am glad you are doing much better now!!!! I'm so glad you had your husband to take care of you, Kenny would have been clueless on how to help me!

Mel said...

Oh boy. The joys and wonders of pregnancy...

Tayvia and Family said...

I'm so sorry that happened! Glad everything turned out ok. Isn't nausea medicine via IV the best:)

Jon and Michelle said...

Oh man that stinks... good thing you got to the hospital and got some fluids. That happened to me a few months ago too, because I got the flu.. those fluids and the iv anti-nausea meds are amazing. I totally hear you though on the "thinking you are fine without meds" I did that too the other day and ended up throwing up on the side of the road on the way to the grocery store. Ooops!! I am glad everything is going better. We miss you guys. And of course our kids are going to be best friends!!!