Saturday, May 28, 2011

Crawling and 5k


I'll start out with the more exciting news.... my 5k! Ok, just kidding I definitely have to start out with a big milestone for Grant. This past week he officially became a crawler!!! He had been showing signs of WANTING to crawl for a while, but just kept flopping over onto his stomach and just couldn't seem to keep up on his knees. Well, something clicked this past week and he put it all together. (He's 9 months old-just for my own info). There is a video at the bottom of literally the first time he crawled. Let me know if it doesn't work because it was having problems. I have to put these pictures in too because this is how he has been crawling the past few days. He got to frustrated with our hardwood floors making him slip if he was wearing pants, so he found a pretty creative solution(I think). All of his socks have some kid of grip on the bottom so he sticks one of his legs out to the side to put his foot down as a grip so he wont slide and then he pushes himself with that leg. He gets around quite quickly with that technique too.

Here are a couple pictures of him doing the leg-out crawl.

He still crawls the normal hands and knees way sometimes, but seems to like this way just as much and is probably faster this way.



In other news... This past weekend I ran my first official 5k race. It was a Relay for Life race and I did it with three of my friends. I had been planning on doing it for a few months, but then had a hip injury where the dr. told me that I could not run AT ALL for at least 6 weeks(and of course this was the six weeks right before the race!) I had to go to physical therapy for those six weeks, but it started feeling better after about 4 or 5 weeks, so I ditched the physical therapy(even though I think that is what helped it get better) and decided I was ready to run again. The physical therapist said that was ok, but to not run more than about 4 or 5 minutes at a time and then stop and walk for a minute and do intervals like that for no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I was getting super frustrated and bored doing that for a few days so I self diagnosed my injury as HEALED! (: This was just the week before the race so I really didn't have much prep time and wasn't planning on doing it anymore, but my friends talked me into it and said if we needed to walk a little that was fine. Well, I am happy to say that not only did I not walk at all, but I actually finished in a decent time.

Shay and I getting lined up before the race. It was so nice to run with her. We just both zoned out with our music, but it helped to keep a good pace and push each other.

Coming up to the finish

And crossing the finish line

Jill,me,Shay and Amy


I look ridiculous, but this was Shay and I celebrating after the race

I had an awesome cheer section that I totally forgot to get a picture of (Cameron and Grant). Grant cheered so hard that he totally zonked out on the ride home. I guess cheering is tough on a little guy.

I had to throw these pictures in here too. Mostly just to freak out my mom who would have had a heart attack if she had been here. Grant has been eating A TON and just loves trying new foods, especially anything that we are eating. We want him to try lots of different foods, so here is one of those new foods for him. Cameron gave him some blackberries and this is how it turned out...



He LOVED them

But managed to make a HUGE mess in the process

His skin was stained purple for a few hours even though we took him straight to take a bath after this.

Here is Grant enjoying chicken nuggets for the first time... I can't believe how well he eats. His dr said he can have anything(besides raw fish and stuff like that) because he is doing so well. He is already eating us out of house and home!!!

Here he is on the way to the 5k chowing down on a string cheese


And I just thew this last one in cuz it's cute

3 comments:

Collin and Joy said...

I love that your bribing him with food to get him to go! Isn't it funny what we do to get them going?!?!

That is really awesome that you did a 5K! I've never been a runner, so it is always impressive to me to see people do these races. I'm so glad that you did well and that you are happy with it! {I also hope you didn't hurt yourself in the process, with that injury and all.}

Grant is adorable... you guys all look well. We're glad that we can still see what is going on in your lives and keep in touch. We'll talk soon!
-Joy, Collin and Eithan-

Krista said...

Way to go on the 5K. Awesome accomplishment and what the heck...Grant is old enough to crawl!

AubsandKenny said...

Hahaha, love those messy face pictures, so cute! Yay Grant for crawling! And Go Hillary!!!! I am so impressed with your 5k!